By Sharon L. James,Sheila Dillon
Awarded a 2012 PROSE Honorable point out as a unmarried quantity Reference/Humanities & Social Sciences
A significant other to ladies within the historical World offers an interdisciplinary, methodologically-based selection of newly-commissioned essays from well-liked students at the examine of ladies within the historic world.
- The first interdisciplinary, methodologically-based choice of readings to handle the examine of ladies within the historic world
- Explores a huge diversity of issues when it comes to girls in antiquity, together with: Mother-Goddess conception; ladies in Homer, Pre-Roman Italy, the close to East; ladies and the relatives, the country, and faith; gown and Adornment; woman Patronage; Hellenistic Queens; Imperial ladies; girls in past due Antiquity; Early ladies Saints; and lots of more
- Thematically prepared to stress the significance of ancient subject matters of continuity, improvement, and innovation
- Reconsiders a lot of the well known proof and preconceived notions with regards to girls in antiquity
- Includes contributions from some of the so much widespread students linked to the learn of girls in antiquity
Read or Download A Companion to Women in the Ancient World (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Best ancient history books
The examine of gender in classical antiquity has passed through speedy and wide-ranging improvement some time past. The members re-examine the function of girls in various contexts and components, equivalent to archaic and classical Greek literature and cult, Roman imperial politics, historical medication and early Christianity.
This quantity facilities on desires in Greek medication from the fifth-century B. C. E. Hippocratic routine all the way down to the fashionable period. medication is right here outlined in a much wider feel than simply formal clinical praxis, and comprises non-formal clinical therapeutic equipment resembling people pharmacopeia, faith, ’magical’ equipment (e.
This quantity explores the amnesty which ended the civil struggle at Athens in 403 BC. Drawing upon historical historians and speechwriters, including the surviving inscriptions, it provides a brand new interpretation of the Athenian Amnesty in its unique surroundings and in view of the following reconstruction of legislation and democratic associations in Athens.
This ebook offers a finished account of positive aspects of Latin that emerge from discussion: instructions and requests, command softeners and strengtheners, assertion hedges, interruptions, attention-getters, greetings and closings. In studying those good points, Peter Barrios-Lech employs a quantitative process and attracts on the entire info from Roman comedy and the fragments of Latin drama.
- Unter dem Asphalt: Was unter den Metropolen der Welt verborgen liegt (German Edition)
- Die Odyssee: Homer und die Kunst des Erzählens (German Edition)
- Das Erdbeben von Sparta mit seinen Auswirkungen auf Staat und Mensch (German Edition)
- The Oxford Handbook of Roman Egypt (Oxford Handbooks)
Extra resources for A Companion to Women in the Ancient World (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Women in the Ancient World (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Sharon L. James,Sheila Dillon