By Robert Parker
Read Online or Download Greek Gods Abroad: Names, Natures, and Transformations (Sather Classical Lectures) PDF
Best ancient history books
The learn of gender in classical antiquity has passed through speedy and wide-ranging improvement some time past. The individuals reconsider the function of girls in various contexts and components, similar to archaic and classical Greek literature and cult, Roman imperial politics, old drugs and early Christianity.
This quantity facilities on goals in Greek medication from the fifth-century B. C. E. Hippocratic routine all the way down to the trendy period. drugs is right here outlined in a much broader experience than simply formal scientific praxis, and comprises non-formal scientific therapeutic equipment similar to folks pharmacopeia, faith, ’magical’ equipment (e.
This quantity explores the amnesty which ended the civil conflict at Athens in 403 BC. Drawing upon old historians and speechwriters, including the surviving inscriptions, it provides a brand new interpretation of the Athenian Amnesty in its unique environment and in view of the following reconstruction of legislation and democratic associations in Athens.
This e-book provides a entire account of positive aspects of Latin that emerge from discussion: instructions and requests, command softeners and strengtheners, assertion hedges, interruptions, attention-getters, greetings and closings. In interpreting those good points, Peter Barrios-Lech employs a quantitative technique and attracts on all of the facts from Roman comedy and the fragments of Latin drama.
- Byzantine Legal Culture and the Roman Legal Tradition, 867–1056
- Origins of the Sphinx: Celestial Guardian of Pre-Pharaonic Civilization
- Spartans: A New History (Ancient Cultures)
- Economic Structures of Antiquity (Contributions in Economics & Economic History)
- The Bell Beaker Transition in Europe: Mobility and local evolution during the 3rd millennium BC
- Aspects of Greek History 750–323BC: A Source-Based Approach (Aspects of Classical Civilisation)
Additional info for Greek Gods Abroad: Names, Natures, and Transformations (Sather Classical Lectures)
Greek Gods Abroad: Names, Natures, and Transformations (Sather Classical Lectures) by Robert Parker