By Dan Cohn-Sherbok
Written via an skilled college instructor, who's additionally a pupil and rabbi, this large textbook offers an unrivalled consultant to the historical past, trust and perform of Judaism. starting with the traditional Near-Eastern historical past, it covers early Israelite background, the emergence of classical rabbinic literature and the increase of medieval Judaism in Islamic and Christian lands. It additionally explores the early sleek interval and the advance of Jewry through the 19th and 20th centuries. Extracts from basic assets are used to brighten up the narrative and supply concrete examples of Jewish civilization. Judaism:
- introduces texts and commentaries, together with the Hebrew Bible, rabbinic texts, mystical literature, Jewish philosophy and Jewish theology
- provides the talents essential to comprehend those step-by-step
- explains the best way to interpret the most important occasions in nearly 4,000 years of Jewish history
- supports research with dialogue questions about the important ancient and spiritual concerns, contains key interpreting for every bankruptcy and an in depth bibliography
- illustrates the advance of Judaism, its suggestions and observances, with approximately two hundred maps and photographs.
A better half web site hyperlinks every one bankruptcy to different on-line assets, and offers information on actions and help for teachers.
Read Online or Download Judaism: History, Belief and Practice PDF
Best judaism books
Theologie- und Wissenschaftshistoriker aus Nordamerika, Skandinavien und Deutschland befassen sich in vorliegendem Band mit den reformatorischen Grundlagen der Bibelhermeneutik (Luther, Melanchthon) und deren facettenreichen Wirkungen im sixteen. und 17. Jahrhundert. Hierbei wird besonderes Augenmerk auf die Vielgestaltigkeit der Auslegungskunst in theologischen Lehrbüchern, Predigt und Gottesdienst gelegt.
Each Shabbat in synagogues worldwide and throughout the US, sermons from the neighborhood rabbi are a massive part of worship. This publication brings jointly thirty-five sermons preached to the congregation of a customary small southern urban, Lake Charles, Louisiana. integrated are a number of sermons dependent upon the weekly parashah (assigned biblical component from the Pentateuch), a sequence of messages introduced in the course of the excessive holy days (Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur) of 2007, 3 funeral sermons, a distinct Yom ha-Sho'ah (Holocaust-memorial) handle, and a quick discuss freedom, given on July four, 2008.
This quantity collects revised models of essays from a 2011 workshop held in Munich on Remembering and Forgetting in Early moment Temple Judah . The authors of the essays deal with those matters from either basic methodological views and during case reviews rising out or linked to a variety of texts from the prophetic literature, the Pentateuch, the old books, Psalms and Lamentations.
The authority of canonical texts, specifically of the Bible, is usually defined in static definitions. even if, the authority of those texts used to be obtained in addition to exercised in a dynamic strategy of transmission and reception. This booklet analyzes chosen features of this old process. cognizance is paid to biblical master-texts and to different texts relating to the “biblical worlds” in numerous historic classes and contexts.
- Les leçons et les énigmes du passé: Une exégèse intra-biblique des psaumes historiques (Beihefte zur Zeitschrift für die alttestamentliche Wissenschaft) (French Edition)
- Avot de-Rabbi Natan B (Texts and Studies in Ancient Judaism) (German Edition)
- The Sages Speak: Rabbinic Wisdom and Jewish Values
- Becoming Un-Orthodox: Stories of Ex-Hasidic Jews
Additional info for Judaism: History, Belief and Practice
Judaism: History, Belief and Practice by Dan Cohn-Sherbok