By Ben Grant
The aphorism captures an incredible volume of fact, that means or wit in a truly brief assertion. it's been used and studied from classical occasions to modern thought and takes on a brand new relevance once we examine today’s communique media similar to textual content messages and twitter. This concise advisor bargains an summary of:
- The heritage of the aphorism to the current day
- Its relation to different brief types, together with the fragment, the proverb, the maxim, the haiku, the epigram and the quotation
- The use of the aphorism through authors akin to Heraclitus, Bacon, los angeles Rochefoucauld, Chuang Tzu, Blake, Schlegel, Emerson, Nietzsche, Wilde, Woolf and Barthes
- The interdisciplinary nature of the aphorism, bringing jointly technological know-how, philosophy, literature and religion
Exploring the entire key points of the shape, Ben provide publications readers via this massive and full of life zone in a wide-ranging and seriously educated research of the aphorism.
Read or Download The Aphorism and Other Short Forms (The New Critical Idiom) PDF
Best literary criticism & theory_1 books
The current anthology entitled Mahesh Dattani: topics recommendations and matters is an collection of scholarly learn papers on clean views and explorations from the texts of Dattani. Mahesh Dattani is a well known identify within the historical past of up to date Indian English drama. He observes complicacies of human lifestyles with optimism and provides strength to his audiences/readers with anticipated resolution rather than leaving them careworn and bewildered.
Meet Me at the Barricades is Harrison’s such a lot experimental paintings. the unconventional incorporates a sequence of delusion sequences that culminate in a scene seriously indebted to the Nighttown episode in James Joyce’s Ulysses (the novel was once released a yr sooner than James Thurber’s better-known brief tale, “The mystery lifetime of Walter Mitty”).
It's time to swap the best way we speak about writing in theater. This e-book deals a brand new argument that reimagines sleek theater's severe strength and areas leading edge writing on the middle of the experimental degree. whereas functionality experiences, German Theaterwissenschaft, or even text-based drama stories have ordinarily predicted theatrical functionality as whatever that needs to function past the boundaries of the textual mind's eye, this booklet indicates how a sequence of writers have actively formed new conceptions of theater's radical strength.
Considering the fact that 1988, J. Hillis Miller has traveled to China to lecture on literary idea, particularly the function of globalization in literary conception. over the years, he has assisted within the improvement of distinctively chinese language sorts of literary concept, Comparative Literature, and international Literature. The fifteen lectures collected in An blameless in a foreign country span either time and geographic place, reflecting his paintings at universities throughout China for greater than twenty-five years.
- Indian Drama in English: Some Perspectives
- Fake memoirs in contemporary history and literature
- The Manifesto Project (Contemporary poetics)
- Writing disenchantment: British First World War prose, 1914-30
- English Prose of the Nineteenth Century (Longman Literature In English Series)
- Poetry and Poetics after Wallace Stevens
Extra resources for The Aphorism and Other Short Forms (The New Critical Idiom)
The Aphorism and Other Short Forms (The New Critical Idiom) by Ben Grant