By Jörg Rüpke,David M. B. Richardson
- Examines the severe phases of the technical, political, and spiritual heritage of the Roman calendar
- Provides a entire ancient and social contextualization of historic calendars and chronicles
- Highlights the original features that are nonetheless obvious within the such a lot dominant smooth worldwide calendar
Read or Download The Roman Calendar from Numa to Constantine: Time, History, and the Fasti PDF
Similar ancient history books
The examine of gender in classical antiquity has passed through speedy and wide-ranging improvement some time past. The individuals reconsider the function of ladies in diversified contexts and parts, comparable to archaic and classical Greek literature and cult, Roman imperial politics, historical drugs and early Christianity.
This quantity facilities on desires in Greek medication from the fifth-century B. C. E. Hippocratic routine right down to the trendy period. medication is right here outlined in a much broader feel than simply formal scientific praxis, and comprises non-formal clinical therapeutic tools equivalent to folks pharmacopeia, faith, ’magical’ tools (e.
This quantity explores the amnesty which ended the civil conflict at Athens in 403 BC. Drawing upon historical historians and speechwriters, including the surviving inscriptions, it provides a brand new interpretation of the Athenian Amnesty in its unique surroundings and in view of the following reconstruction of legislation and democratic associations in Athens.
This booklet offers a complete account of beneficial properties of Latin that emerge from discussion: instructions and requests, command softeners and strengtheners, assertion hedges, interruptions, attention-getters, greetings and closings. In reading those positive aspects, Peter Barrios-Lech employs a quantitative approach and attracts on the entire facts from Roman comedy and the fragments of Latin drama.
- Atlantis & Lemuria: The Lost Continents Revealed!
- Death and Dynasty in Early Imperial Rome
- Popular Caesar - Anwendung, Zielsetzung und Motive popularer Politik bei Caesar: Von den Anfängen bis zum Consulat (German Edition)
- Edinburgh History of the Greeks, c. 500 to 1050 (The Edinburgh History of the Greeks EUP)
- The Future of Biblical Archaeology: Reassessing Methodologies and Assumptions
- The Bell Beaker Transition in Europe: Mobility and local evolution during the 3rd millennium BC
Additional resources for The Roman Calendar from Numa to Constantine: Time, History, and the Fasti
The Roman Calendar from Numa to Constantine: Time, History, and the Fasti by Jörg Rüpke,David M. B. Richardson