By Dr. Norman J. Cohen
An obtainable advent to the best way to learn, learn, and comprehend Torah—the Bible and comparable sacred texts that experience grown up round it.
For each person who desires to comprehend Torah, this booklet indicates the way in which into a necessary element of Judaism, and lets you engage without delay with the sacred texts of the Jewish culture.
Guided through Dr. Norman J. Cohen, rabbi and professor of midrash at Hebrew Union College–Jewish Institute of faith, The manner Into Torah is helping us discover the origins and improvement of Torah, why it may be studied, and the way to do it.
- What Torah is. The texts, and past: now not easily the 5 Books of Moses, Torah refers to even more than written words.
- The varied techniques to learning Torah. the various methods Jews have interacted with Torah throughout the a while and the way, by way of studying to learn Torah ourselves,we can attach it to our lives today.
- The degrees of figuring out Torah. How Torah can come alive in several methods, at assorted instances; and how new meanings of Torah are came upon by way of its readers.
- Why Torah examine is part of the Jewish experience. the way it permits us to event God’s presence—and why the Rabbis referred to as Torah research extra vital even than trust in God.
This advisor bargains an front into the area of Torah, and to its which means for our lives. The manner Into Torah indicates us why analyzing Torah isn't the comparable as studying something else—and permits us to turn into part of a series of Jewish culture that all started millennia in the past, and is still unbroken at the present time.
Read Online or Download The Way Into Torah (Way Into--) PDF
Similar judaism books
Theologie- und Wissenschaftshistoriker aus Nordamerika, Skandinavien und Deutschland befassen sich in vorliegendem Band mit den reformatorischen Grundlagen der Bibelhermeneutik (Luther, Melanchthon) und deren facettenreichen Wirkungen im sixteen. und 17. Jahrhundert. Hierbei wird besonderes Augenmerk auf die Vielgestaltigkeit der Auslegungskunst in theologischen Lehrbüchern, Predigt und Gottesdienst gelegt.
Each Shabbat in synagogues worldwide and throughout the US, sermons from the neighborhood rabbi are a huge section of worship. This ebook brings jointly thirty-five sermons preached to the congregation of a customary small southern urban, Lake Charles, Louisiana. incorporated are numerous sermons established upon the weekly parashah (assigned biblical component from the Pentateuch), a chain of messages introduced throughout the excessive holy days (Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur) of 2007, 3 funeral sermons, a unique Yom ha-Sho'ah (Holocaust-memorial) tackle, and a quick discuss freedom, given on July four, 2008.
This quantity collects revised types of essays from a 2011 workshop held in Munich on Remembering and Forgetting in Early moment Temple Judah . The authors of the essays deal with those concerns from either normal methodological views and during case reviews rising out or linked to a variety of texts from the prophetic literature, the Pentateuch, the old books, Psalms and Lamentations.
The authority of canonical texts, specially of the Bible, is usually defined in static definitions. notwithstanding, the authority of those texts used to be received in addition to exercised in a dynamic technique of transmission and reception. This ebook analyzes chosen points of this historic process. awareness is paid to biblical master-texts and to different texts with regards to the “biblical worlds” in quite a few ancient classes and contexts.
- Witnessing a Prophetic Text in the Making: The Literary, Textual and Linguistic Development of Jeremiah 10:1-16 (Beihefte zur Zeitschrift für die alttestamentliche Wissenschaft)
- Rabbinic Creativity in the Modern Middle East (The Robert and Arlene Kogod Library of Judaic Studies)
- Les Juifs à Paris à la Belle Époque (Présences du judaïsme poche) (French Edition)
- The Heart of Loneliness: How Jewish Wisdom Can Help You Cope and Find Comfort and Community
- The Anatomy of Fate: Astrology and Kabbalah
- My People's Prayer Book Vol 7: Shabbat at Home
Extra resources for The Way Into Torah (Way Into--)
The Way Into Torah (Way Into--) by Dr. Norman J. Cohen