By Alan T. Levenson
- Provides a finished and authoritative review of the most classes and subject matters of Jewish historical past, from Biblical Israel, via medieval and early sleek classes, to Judaism because the Holocaust, the Arab-Israeli clash, and Judaism today
- Brings jointly a world workforce of proven and rising students throughout quite a number disciplines
- Discusses the best way to current Judaism - to either non-Jews and Jews - as a spiritual procedure by itself phrases and with its personal particular vocabulary
- Explores the most recent scholarship on more than a few concerns, together with people practices, politics, financial constitution, the connection of Judaism to Christianity, and the character of Zionism diaspora and its implications for modern Israel
- Considers Jewish historiography and the lives of normal humans, the achievements of Jewish ladies, and the sustained interplay of Jews in the environments they inhabited
- Edited by way of a number one pupil in Jewish stories and history
Read or Download The Wiley-Blackwell History of Jews and Judaism (The Wiley-Blackwell Histories of Religion) PDF
Similar judaism books
Theologie- und Wissenschaftshistoriker aus Nordamerika, Skandinavien und Deutschland befassen sich in vorliegendem Band mit den reformatorischen Grundlagen der Bibelhermeneutik (Luther, Melanchthon) und deren facettenreichen Wirkungen im sixteen. und 17. Jahrhundert. Hierbei wird besonderes Augenmerk auf die Vielgestaltigkeit der Auslegungskunst in theologischen Lehrbüchern, Predigt und Gottesdienst gelegt.
Each Shabbat in synagogues around the globe and throughout the USA, sermons from the neighborhood rabbi are a massive component to worship. This e-book brings jointly thirty-five sermons preached to the congregation of a regular small southern urban, Lake Charles, Louisiana. integrated are a number of sermons dependent upon the weekly parashah (assigned biblical element from the Pentateuch), a chain of messages introduced throughout the excessive holy days (Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur) of 2007, 3 funeral sermons, a different Yom ha-Sho'ah (Holocaust-memorial) tackle, and a brief speak about freedom, given on July four, 2008.
This quantity collects revised types of essays from a 2011 workshop held in Munich on Remembering and Forgetting in Early moment Temple Judah . The authors of the essays tackle those matters from either common methodological views and during case stories rising out or linked to a variety of texts from the prophetic literature, the Pentateuch, the old books, Psalms and Lamentations.
The authority of canonical texts, in particular of the Bible, is frequently defined in static definitions. even if, the authority of those texts used to be obtained in addition to exercised in a dynamic technique of transmission and reception. This e-book analyzes chosen points of this ancient process. consciousness is paid to biblical master-texts and to different texts regarding the “biblical worlds” in numerous ancient classes and contexts.
- Pollution in a Promised Land: An Environmental History of Israel
- Shalom: A Congregational Guide to Jewish Meditation
- When Memory Comes
- Three Times a Year: Studies on Festival Legislation in the Pentateuch (Forschungen zum Alten Testament)
- The JPS B'nai Mitzvah Torah Commentary (JPS Study Bible)
Additional resources for The Wiley-Blackwell History of Jews and Judaism (The Wiley-Blackwell Histories of Religion)
The Wiley-Blackwell History of Jews and Judaism (The Wiley-Blackwell Histories of Religion) by Alan T. Levenson